Know if Global Talent Stream program is right for your Canada Visa application
There was once a time when people from technology, science or engineering background would look to head to United States to fulfil their immigration dreams. Over the last decade, Canada has become the top choice for people looking for building career and educational opportunities in these sectors. Among Canada’s many visa program, Global Talent Stream works to the benefit of people with skilled employment.
The Global Talent Stream(GTS) allows certain skilled workers to obtain work permit within two weeks of applying. It is one of the most important part of Canada’s Global Skills Strategy, which aims to help innovative companies grow by ensuring they can access highly skilled talent as quickly as possible. Canada is looking to make its Global Talent Stream program a permanent scheme which will work to the advantage of aspiring Indians, including those based in the US to cash in on the emerging job opportunities in the country.
Know more about Global Talent Stream(GTS) Program
For those currently working in the field of science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM), the Global Talent Stream program is a wonderful immigration visa option for Canada. It enables the sponsoring employers to get the application processing work done within two weeks. Moreover, the job aspirants hired under the GTS route earn valuable work experience in Canada, which puts them at an advantage when they apply for permanent residency under Express Entry Route.
Eligibility for Global Talent Stream
A person may be eligible for Category A of the Global Talent Stream if they have been referred to the Global Talent Stream by one of the Stream’s designated partners and they are hiring unique and specialized talent. Apart from that, a person may be eligible for Category B of the Global Talent Stream if they are seeking to hire highly-skilled foreign workers to fill positions in occupations found on the Global Talent Occupations List. A referral is not required to be eligible for Category B.
As an employer applying through the Global Talent Stream, you must comply with Program requirements for the Global Talent Stream. You must also uphold the conditions and rules set out in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act regarding hiring a temporary foreign worker.
Let us learn the details about the two categories under Global Talent Stream.
High-growth companies that are able to demonstrate a need to recruit unique, specialized talent from abroad fall under Category A. Employers in this category must be referred to the Global Talent Stream by a designated referral partner.
This category is for employers looking to hire certain highly skilled foreign workers for occupations found on the Global Talent Occupations List, which have been determined to be in-demand and for which there is insufficient domestic labor supply. This list may be updated periodically to respond to labor market needs.
To get the most out of this two-week work permit processing, applicants must:
- Submit a complete application.
- Self-identify for Global Talent Stream in the ‘Come to Canada’ Wizard during the application process.
- Legally translate to English your Diploma and Marriage Certificate (if married) and submit them.
- Submit medical exams upfront, as and where required by the Act and Regulations.
- Get Employer Reference Letter.
- Submit biometric fee at the time of e-application (where required by the Regulations)
- Obtain biometrics prior to the two weeks elapsing from time of application.
- The foreign worker will not need to additionally apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). It will automatically be issued as part of the application process where applicable.
- A foreign worker will need the visa (where required by the Regulations). This will be issued as part of the work permit process.
Applicants not meeting the above application criteria will not have submitted the necessary information to enable IRCC officers to finalize the application decision within the 2 week period.
After you apply
After the application process, a dedicated team at Employment and Social Development Canada will provide all Global Talent Stream employers with streamlined, client focused service. Employers applying to the Global Talent Stream can expect:
- Faster processing of your Global Talent Stream applications with a service standard of 10-business days, starting on the business day after the application has been received by the Employment and Social Development Canada. This service standard is expected to be met 80% of the time;
- Personalized, high-touch assistance throughout the assessment process; and
- Eligibility for highly-skilled global talent workers to have their work permits processed in two weeks by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. This service standard is expected to be met 80% of the time.
Popularity of this Program
As per the department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, in 2018 about 41,000 invites were issued to Indians, marking a 13 percent rise compared to 36,310 invites in 2017.
Some of the most highly skilled people of the world have gone to Canada to pursue their immigration dreams through our global skills strategy.
What started out as a two-year pilot project, has now become one of the most important immigration program to benefit Canada’s mushrooming technology sector. Thus it is important for people to seek the advice of right immigration agency to find out if they can apply for Global Talent Stream program.
At Kansas Overseas Careers, we help those in the tech sector understand about the nitty-gritties of the Global Talent Stream program. Our dedicated team will ensure you get the best services from our immigration experts and fulfil your Canadian immigration dreams.